Dresden is the capital city of the Free State of Saxony in Germany. It is situated in a valley on the River Elbe, near the Czech border.
Dresden has a long history as the capital and royal residence for the Electors and Kings of Saxony, who for centuries furnished the city with cultural and artistic splendour. The city was known as the Jewel Box, because of its baroque and rococo city centre. A controversial Allied aerial bombing towards the end of World War II killed thousands of civilians and destroyed the entire city centre. The impact of the bombing and 40 years of urban development during the East German communist era have considerably changed the face of the city. Some restoration work has helped to reconstruct parts of the historic inner city, including the Katholische Hofkirche, the Semper Oper and the Dresdner Frauenkirche. Since the German reunification in 1990, Dresden has regained importance as one of the cultural, educational, political and economic centres of Germany. (Source: Wikipedia)
Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)
The Dresdner Frauenkirche is an Evangelic-Lutheran church and offers glamorous concerts, peaceful services and free sightseeing. It represents a highlight of the protestant church construction in Saxony and a masterpiece of the European Baroque era.
The Zwinger is one of the most famous constructions of the late baroque era. One of Dresdens landmarks is the gate with the golden crown. Worth seeing are also the world famous art gallery “Alte Meister”, the porcelain collection, the armory, the animal science museum and the mathematical-physical salon. With the wonderful fountain and a beautiful scenery the Zwinger court invites you to stay. During the summer it often happens that these lovely surroundings house open-air concerts.
The Semperoper Dresden is one of the most famous opera houses world wide, thanks to the high quality of the ensemble of the Saxon state opera and its significant music tradition. Sound body of the opera is the traditional Saxon state band Dresden.
The 102 meter long Fürstenzug on the north wall of the stableyard shows the cavalcade of princes and kings of the Saxon dynasty Wettin and representatives of the saxon educational bourgeois. This piece of art was created from 1904 until 1907 and is painted on 25.000 original Meißener porcelain tiles, which makes it the largest porcelain picture in the world.
Thanks to the baroque conversion of the mighty fortress on the riverbank, a wonderful promenade was created. The builder was the saxon cabinet minister Heinrich earl of Brühl, who made his electoral prince give it to him as a gift piece by piece in 1739. He built a baroque pleasance together with a palace, galerie, belvedere and other buildings.
The “Big Garden” is placed south east of downtown Dresden and today it is the largest and most beautiful park area in the city. On the edge of the park you can find a botanical garden and a zoo. Since 1950 the Park train offers you the possibility to enjoy the park while relaxing in one of the authentic wagons.
Right next to the “Big Garden” and only 1,5 km away from downtown, the Volkswagen AG has built the “Glass Manufactory”. This building is characterized by an innovative connection between architecture and industrial production. The foundation stone was laid in 1999 and in the end of 2001 the production startet.